The issue of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) has been the talk of the town from the past one month. The JNU issue was successful at grabbing the attention of every print and electronic media in the last one month. The issue went on to become such a big discussion that it was one of the hot topics for discussion in the parliament. The issue also went on to become an international issue as the international media also started following the event and received responses form many well-known personalities across the world.
Points of Analysis
The following are a list of twenty points, which would help us understand the issue from a different angle:
- People only throw stones at trees with fruit on them. While the BJP Government is attacking the student’s community at JNU, the world should know that they have something special and unique which the BJP Government doesn’t not have, so they are pelting stones at them by stopping their fellowship, arresting them on false charges and playing the role of a silent killer.
- The Government has miserably failed to deliver on their election promises and on administration on various fronts. They failed to give Rs. 15 lakhs to every citizen, they failed to get back the black money, they failed to implement their slogan ‘sabka saath sabka vikas’. In the administrative front, they failed to keep a control over the price of pulses, they failed to reduce the price of petrol and diesel when the price of oil was reduced from $110 per barrel to around $42 per barrel in the international market. In the recent union budget they have failed to reduce the taxes, they have cut down direct taxes by Rs. 1060 crores but imposed Rs. 20,000 crore in indirect taxes, they failed to stop or reduce the rate of farmers’ suicides in the country and much more, so they have created the JNU issue so that they can start discussing on this issue and not focus on the failures of the Government.
- The current government has lost the intellectual battle. After the JNU issues, the Prime Minister addressed the house for 75 minutes and he did not speak a word about Rohit Vimula or on the JNU issue, inspite both being burning issues. As they have lost the intellectual battle, they are using their power to fight people the same way the Pharaoh did when he lost the debate and challenge with Prophet Moses (pbuh). Allah (swt) says in the Quran, “And the eminent among the people of Pharaoh said, “Will you leave Moses and his people to cause corruption in the land and cause corruption in the land and abandon you and your gods?” (Pharaoh) said, “We will kill their sons and keep their women alive; and indeed, we are subjugators over them” (Quran 7:127).
- Nationalism is not a product of Indian culture or ideology but it is actually borrowed from the west. As India is a land of religions, cultures, languages, traditions, etc., the concept of nationalism would not be practical in a country like India.
- Around 60 years back Maulana Maududi strongly opposed the concept of nationalism saying that it will lead a person to polytheism (shirk), it is a western concept, it will divide the Muslims across the world and it will ultimately lead to the supremacy of the Western imperialist powers. Today after 60 years, Kanhaiya Kumar has told the same thing that ‘Nationalism’ is an idea of the west and it cannot be implemented in India.
- The BJP party are pure hypocrites and they have double standards in every issue like ‘beef ban’ or ‘love jihad’. As we are discussing Nationalism they have shown their double standards and hypocrisy in this as well. Jayalalithaa (Chief Minister of Tamilnadu) gave a statement that the killers of Rajiv Gandhi should be released, but she was not called an anti-national as she shares a very close relationship with the BJP. Prakash Singh Badal a close ally of the BJP has written many letters to release the two big terrorists Rajuvana and Bhullar, but he was not labelled anti-national as he is a close ally of the BJP. Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on the occasion of executing Afzal Guru said that the death will be a negative reference in the history of Kashmir but he was not called anti-national as they have formed a Government with them in Kashmir.
- The works of Dr. Ambedkar are published by Maharashtra Government and reprinted by the Central Government in good quality and sold on various occasions. This year as well the books were sold at the international book festival held at New Delhi. Among his various works books such as, Riddles in Hinduism, State and Minorities, State and Counter Revolution and Women and Counter Revolution were missing from the shelves as they do not go in line with their idea of Nationalism.
- Whatever happened in JNU was not a spontaneous activity but a planned one. It all started after the BJP lost the Bihar election and wanted to create some issue. The pamphlets which were distributed by ABVP during the JNU issue were very similar with what Hindu Kranti Sena and the RSS in their recent programs distributed. This shows that the entire event was pre-planned.
- BJP and the RSS are teaching lessons of Nationalism to the country but they have failed to answer a million dollar question to name a single person who has played a role in India’s freedom struggle.
- Rabindranath Tagore who composed our National Anthem and also wrote many patriotic songs was a strong critique of Nationalism. He said that Nationalism led to the carnage of War in Europe during the First World War. When he went to Japan and USA in 1916, he addressed the people on nationalism and spoke about its negative side. All his lectures are compiled in the book called Nationalism by Mc Miller in 1917. If we analyse his statements, it would become easy to prove him to be an anti-national according to RSS and the BJP.
- The current Government does not want people to indulge in critical thinking. The students of JNU indulged in critical thinking and they had to face the music. If anybody indulges in critical thinking, he will be termed as a terrorist or an anti-national.
- The current Government is very afraid of JNU as they have raised a lot of significant issues against the central Government, namely, Saffronization of Education, Privatization of Education, Occupy UGC Movement, not giving permission to Baba Ramdev to deliver a lecture in JNU and a strong protest against the institutional killing of Rohit Vimula. All these aspects have contributed to the current issue in JNU.
- Smithi Irani wants to take control over JNU and all the universities and appoint their people as Vice Chancellors and this is the first step to do so. For example, when there was a vacant position for an executive council member at Aligarh Muslim University, she proposed the name of Rajat Sharma who is the editor-in-chief of India TV. His name was suggested as he is very closely associated with the BJP. What she is implementing is the agenda given by the RSS soon after she was appointed the HRD minister.
- Due to the issue BJP became a victim of negative publicity, especially among the educated and intellectual class. A letter was written by world famous philosopher from USA Noam Chomskys to the Vice Chancellor of JNU showing his consent about the ill treatment of the student community in the University. The report of the videos being doctored has contributed to exposing the reality of BJP and their media allies.
- BJP has lost the election in Delhi and Bihar with a very high margin, now they don’t want to lose the election in Uttar Pradesh which is going to be held in 2017. Thus, this is their first step to use nationalism as a tool to fight the future elections as they have failed to communalise the issue in the past elections.
- The way the country is run in the past two years, one thing is clear that the only the Hindu upper caste Brahmins and the Corporates are only safe and the poor, middle class, Dalits, Muslims, Christians and other minorities will have a very tough time.
- The meaning of ‘sabka saath sabka vikas’ should be rightly interpreted, they basically want to say that ‘You are with us or you are against us’. If you are with us, then we will spare you and if you speak against us, then you will have a tough time.
- The Rohit Vimula issue has shown the power of the Dalit movement. All the minorities should come together if they have to bring in a positive and constructive change in the country.
- This is just the beginning; we will be witnessing bigger problems in the coming future. A lot more injustice will be done on people specially the minorities; many innocent people would be killed and we need to get ready for the same. And when the issue will reach its peak, we will then witness a solution which is going to emerge from the problem itself.
- Youth are going to play a very significant role during the issue. The professors have also supported the students but the key role was played by the student community.
When Kanhaiya Kumar was released on bail, the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi, twitted “Satyamev Jayate”, which means “Truth Alone Prevails”. The truth has already prevailed, the people of the country have realised the truth of BJP and their evil agendas. The people have come to know about the news channels who have sold their ethics to BJP for money. In the coming three years, more truth will prevail and more facts will be revealed so that they 69% can be happy about their decision and the rest 31% can ponder over their wrong decision and make the right decision after three years during the union election.